Logo-jrcm
J Res Clin Med. 2021;9(1): 24.
doi: 10.34172/jrcm.2021.024
  Abstract View: 45
  PDF Download: 54

Original Article

A tumor-mimicking parasitic disease: Radiological Findings of Alveolar Echinococcosis

Saim Türkoğlu 1* ORCID logo, Mesut Özgökçe 2

1 Department of Radiology, Van Training and Research Hospital, Van,Turkey
2 Department of Radiology, Medical Faculty, Yuzuncu Yıl University, Van,Turkey

Abstract

Background: Alveolar echinococcosis(AE) is a tumor-mimicking parasitic disease caused by Echinococcus multilocularis. We have aimed to present the radiological imaging findings of AE characterized by malignant features.
Methods: The radiological findings of 20 patients were evaluated retrospectively; who were admitted to our hospital in the Van province in the years between 2014 and 2020 and who were diagnosed with AE. Of these patients, 30% had been operated due to a preliminary diagnosis of a tumor. The study was conducted retrospectively by examining the drawback radiological images of patients from the radiological data archiving system. The diagnosis of AE was confirmed when lesions manifested the following radiological imaging findings: irregular margins, no contrast uptake in dynamic contrast images or late peripheral enhancement, presence of calcifications, and contralateral lobe hypertrophy.
Results: The mean age of the patients at the time of diagnosis was 50.95 (12-86) years. Of the patients, 15 (75%) were women and 5 (25%) were men. Typical histopathological and radiological imaging findings were present in 8 (40%) and 17 (85%) patients, respectively. Only 12 (60%) out of 20 patients had seropositivity by ELISA. The remaining 8 (40%) patients were seronegative.
Conclusion: Radiological imaging examinations are essential in the diagnosis and the evaluation of the extent of the disease. Different radiological technic can be used to differentiate AE from other diseases. Early diagnosis is important for avoiding unnecessary or inadequate operations due to a misdiagnosis and for preventing potential complications.
Keywords: Alveolar echinococcosis, Tumor like lesion, Ultrasonography, Computed Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging
First Name
 
Last Name
 
Email Address
 
Comments
 
Security code


Abstract View: 41

Your browser does not support the canvas element.


PDF Download: 54

Your browser does not support the canvas element.

Submitted: 31 Jan 2021
Revision: 08 Mar 2021
Accepted: 09 Mar 2021
ePublished: 16 May 2021
EndNote EndNote

(Enw Format - Win & Mac)

BibTeX BibTeX

(Bib Format - Win & Mac)

Bookends Bookends

(Ris Format - Mac only)

EasyBib EasyBib

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Medlars Medlars

(Txt Format - Win & Mac)

Mendeley Web Mendeley Web
Mendeley Mendeley

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Papers Papers

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

ProCite ProCite

(Ris Format - Win & Mac)

Reference Manager Reference Manager

(Ris Format - Win only)

Refworks Refworks

(Refworks Format - Win & Mac)

Zotero Zotero

(Ris Format - Firefox Plugin)